Jump to: Snow Emergency Routes
Snow Storm Tips:
- Try and stay off of the roads as much as possible. When in doubt, it can wait.
- It takes around 2.5 hours for Highway Department employees to treat Swatara Township roads with salt/anti skid. So delay travel whenever possible.
- Do not pass plow trucks. Doing this could cause a serious accident.
- Watch for drifting snow over roadways. There may be high winds after the storm.
- Leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Slow down. It will take twice as much roadway or more to stop during inclement weather.
- Avoid hills. Hills are treated with material first but can be very slippery.
"Avoiding the 2nd Shovel"
Video: Snow Shoveling Secrets
In order to facilitate the movement of traffic and to combat the hazards of snow and ice on snow emergency routes, the Township may declare a snow and ice emergency. After any snow emergency is declared, it shall be unlawful, at any time during the continuance of the emergency, for any person:
- To park a motor vehicle or to allow that vehicle to remain parked anywhere on any snow emergency route.
- To drive any motor vehicle on any such snow emergency route, unless that vehicle is equipped with snow tires or chains.
The following are snow emergency routes:
|Bonnymeade Avenue||Derry Street and Dawn-Mar Street|
|Cardinal Drive||Chambers Hill Road and Cardinal Court|
|Center Street||Main Street and 3rd Street|
|Center Street||Third Street and Highland Street|
|Chambers Hill Road||Penhar Drive and Paxton Street|
|Cockley Road||Chambers Hill Road and Lower Swatara line|
|Derry Street||Milroy Road and Pleasant View Road|
|East Park Drive||Derry Street and Spring Creek Road|
|Eddington Street (north only)||Derry Street and Spring Creek Road|
|Eighty-Second Street||Lee's Drive and Paxton Street|
|Forty-Eighth Street||Derry Street and Lower Paxton line|
|Harrisburg Street, South (east only)||Quarry Road and Highland Street|
|Harvest Drive||50th Street and Arney Road|
|High Street||Hickory Street and Harrisburg Street|
|Keckler Road||Highland Street and Chambers Hill Road|
|Kempton Avenue||Lancaster Street and Fordham Avenue|
|Lenker Road||Montour Street and Simpson Street|
|Mall Road North||Harrisburg Street and Paxton Street|
|Monroe Street (north only)|
Center Street and Elm Street
|Mushroom Hill Road|
Grayson Road and Chambers Hill Road
|Orchard Drive||Pine Street and Reynder Street|
|Pajabon Drive||Stacey Drive and Keckler Road|
|Pleasant View Road||Township line and Bridge Street|
Harrisburg Street and Kelker Street
|Reynder Street||Orchard Drive and Swatara Street|
|Sixtieth Street||Chambers Hill Road and Acorn Drive|
Derry Street and Evelyn Street
|Sixty-Ninth Street (east side only)||Derry Street to end|
|Sixty-Seventh Street||Derry Street and Lower Paxton line|
|Sixty-Third Street||Derry Street and Ann Street|
Derry Street and Simpson Road